Chia seeds are pretty magical in how they puff up to absorb liquids. This recipe works great using real milk or plant-based milks and either honey or other sweeteners of choice. Or skip the extra sweeteners entirely and let the fruit shine through. This recipe comes from the helpful people at Eat Smart Move More Virginia.
- 1 cup 1% milk (or almond milk, flax milk, oat milk, coconut milk…)
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 3/8 tablespoons honey (or sweetener of choice, such as stevia, monk fruit, or chopped dates)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 5/8 cups fruit, such as raspberries, strawberries, bananas, and blueberries, washed and sliced, if needed
- In a mixing bowl, whisk milk, chia seeds, honey (or sweetener of choice), cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt together.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. NOTE: Can also be refrigerated overnight. Pudding will thicken as the seeds absorb the moisture.
- To serve, evenly spoon the pudding into 2 serving containers. Top with fruit of your choice. NOTE: Toppings can also include coconut flakes or slivered or chopped nuts.
- To serve, spoon ½ of the pudding into 2 serving containers. Top with fruit of your choice.