My husband, Mike, gave up dairy when he learned it raises the risk of prostate cancer, which runs aggressively in his family. He missed cheese so much…until he found nut cheese. There are loads of great nut cheese recipes all over the internet. After trying many of them, he created this one because it was faster and easier than others, but just as good. Other recipes call for taking the skins off the almonds or baking the nut cheese. He thinks it’s just as good without that extra work.
- 1 cup almonds, soaked in water in the refrigerator for 24 hours
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 TBsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 TBsp lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- Heaping ½ tsp salt
(All these amounts are flexible, so feel free to adjust to your preferences.)
- Put all ingredients into a food processor and blend a few minutes, until smooth. No chunks!
- Pour the mix into a strainer lined with cheesecloth and gently squeeze some liquid out. (The liquid is delicious. Save it for salad dressing.)
- Let the ball of nut cheese sit wrapped in the cheesecloth in the refrigerator for about a day. Put a plate underneath to catch the liquid that drips out.
- Gently remove nut cheese from the cheesecloth and put it on a serving plate.
Good luck not eating it all in one sitting!
Jill Brook, MA - Website