Looking for delicious Italian food without all the carbs? This recipe from the American Diabetes Association will make you forget about pasta.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 roma (plum) tomatoes (seeded and diced)
- ½ small red onion (small dice)
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano (chopped)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ¼ lbs chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- ½ tsp salt ((optional))
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil (chopped)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- reheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss together tomatoes, red onion, oregano, red wine vinegar and olive oil.
- Butterfly each chicken breast, and open each like a book. Season both sides of all chicken breasts with salt (optional) and pepper.
- Toss basil and parmesan cheese together in a small bowl and then divide the mixture evenly between each open chicken breast. Fold the chicken breast back in half and place in the baking pan.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the chicken breasts and bake for 35-45 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken breasts) or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees F.