Visit our e-commerce website for Conferences, Webinars, Medical Membership, eBooks etc [More Details]
Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
This delicious Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie is comforting, satisfying, and healthy. The mashed potato topping is creamy and luscious. This main dish recipe is a family favorite! Gluten-free, dairy-free, and 100% plant-based.
- 1 pound white potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups brown or green lentils, rinsed well (this will yield about 5 cups of cooked lentils)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 onion or 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- The first step to making a shepherd’s pie is to make the mashed potatoes. I like using my Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe. It’s the easiest way to make mashed potatoes, in my opinion. You can also cook your potatoes on the stove.
- After you cook the potatoes in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop, transfer them to a mixing bowl and use a fork or potato masher to mash them with the almond milk, vegan butter, and salt and pepper. Set the mashed potatoes aside.
- The next step to this recipe is to cook your lentils. I also like to make Instant Pot Brown Lentils for this shepherd’s pie. Or, you can cook your lentils on the stovetop using the directions on the package.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Then, heat up your oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté your chopped onion, garlic, lentils, tomato paste, and chopped sage for just a few minutes. Add the cooked lentil mixture to the bottom of a baking dish.
- Lastly, spread the cooked and mashed potatoes on top of the lentils and then bake the whole thing for 20 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees F.
- Let the shepherd’s pie cool for a few minutes before serving.
- You can make the mashed potatoes up to several days in advance. Store them covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use them.
- You can use fresh or dried thyme, rosemary, or oregano in place of the sage, if you prefer.
- Store any leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.