Visit our e-commerce website for Conferences, Webinars, Medical Membership, eBooks etc [More Details]
Vegan Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
This healthy Vegan Quinoa Stuffed Peppers recipe is great for a main dish. With vegetables, quinoa, and melty vegan cheese cooked inside a bell pepper, this flavorful dish is so satisfying.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce, divided
- 6 large red bell peppers
- 1 cup vegan shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Rinse and drain the quinoa in a fine-mesh colander. Add the quinoa and broth to a medium saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce the heat, and cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and zucchini, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the walnuts and 1 cup of the marinara sauce and stir to combine. Turn off the heat and cover the skillet with a lid.
- When the quinoa is done, use a fork to fluff it. Pour the cooked quinoa into the skillet with the vegetables and stir to combine.
- Pour the remaining cup of marinara sauce in the bottom of a 15-inch by 9-inch baking dish.
- Prepare the bell peppers for stuffing by carefully cutting off the top of each bell pepper and then removing the seeds and the core.
- Stand the bell peppers in the baking dish.
- Use a serving spoon to stuff the quinoa mixture into the bell peppers. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven, take off the foil, and sprinkle the tops of the peppers with the cheese. Return the baking dish to the oven to cook for 10 more minutes so the cheese can melt.
- Let the peppers cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Note: you can use whatever color of bell pepper you prefer, but red bell peppers are the sweetest.
Carrie Forrest, MPH
For more photos on how to make this dish, plus nutrition information, please visit.